About Life Sciences Industry Group
Life Sciences Industry Group (LSIG) represents the pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors. It comprises two sub-groups, Singapore Pharmaceutical Manufacturers’ Council (SPMC) and Singapore Pharmaceutical Trade Organisation (SPTO). The group was established to maintain and enhance the reputation and credibility of the pharmaceutical industry in Singapore. Members from SPTO and SPMC meet regularly with the Health Sciences Authority (HSA) to discuss the latest regulatory landscape in the region as well as challenges faced by local industry.
Structure of LSIG Main Committee
Life Sciences Industry Group (LSIG) promotes and facilitates the growth of the pharmaceutical industry in Singapore. It discusses and comments on regulatory issues affecting the industry besides co-ordinating and undertaking studies to identify new products and market opportunities.
Singapore Pharmaceutical Manufacturer’s Council (SPMC)
Founded in 1986, SPMC represents a group of local manufacturing companies producing western pharmaceuticals and quasi-pharmaceuticals such as medicated balms and oils. SPMC is the founder of APC, a confederation of ASEAN pharmaceutical manufacturing associations.
Singapore Pharmaceutical Trade Organisation (SPTO)
Founded in 2003, SPTO represents a group of local companies dealing with the manufacture and/or importation, marketing and distribution of pharmaceutical and related products for local and export markets.
Early 2020, both Singapore Pharmaceutical Manufacturer’s Council (SPMC) and Singapore Pharmaceutical Trade Organisation (SPTO) has been merged into Life Sciences Industry Group (LSIG).
In addition to many local generic pharmaceutical manufacturers and traders, 8 of the world’s 10 biggest pharmaceutical firms also have their manufacturing base in Singapore. Singapore’s pharmaceutical industry employs more than 24,000 people.
In 2019 the pharma industry accounted for 20% of the manufacturing sector which in turn represents about a fifth of Singapore’s gross domestic product. The manufacturers range from API’s to formulations and finished dosage forms, of simple generics to complex biologics and biosimilars.
As a result of all of these years of growth and expertise, the Singapore Government aims to make pharma the fourth largest pillar amongst all industries.
- To maintain and enhance the reputation and credibility of the pharmaceutical industry in Singapore and its contribution to public health and welfare.
- To ensure the medicinal products are of the highest quality and are readily available for the prevention and treatment of human and animal ailments.
- To co-operate with the Singapore government, and public bodies in Singapor to further economic development and prosperity of Singapore, with particular reference to the promotion of investment and the advancement of the Singapore Pharmaceutical Industry.
- To promote and facilitate the pharmaceutical industry in Singapore, and between Singapore and foreign countries.
- To undertake, coordinate, or encourage the conduct of research and studies which will serve to identify opportunities, projects or products for complementation in the pharmaceutical industries.
- To address and communicate with the Health Sciences Authority (HSA) on regulatory issues.
LSIG Main Committee Members (Term: 2018 - 2021)
|Name of Committee Member
||Member Company Name
|Mr Mohan Kumar
||Strides Pharma Global Pte Ltd
|Dr Farshad Shishehchian
||Blue Aqua International Ltd
|Mr Adam Hamid
||Naina Mohamed & Sons Pte Ltd
|Dr Stephen Hsu
|Mr Victor Heng
||Practical Mediscience Pte Ltd
|Mr Raymond Lam
||Pharmaforte Singapore Pte Ltd
|Dr Ameet Ambarkhane
||Covate Pharma Pte Ltd
For information or enquires on LSIG, contact LSIG Secretariat – Ms Valerie Tan at 6826 3174 or email us via our contact us form.